Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?


So, Harry and I joined an online book club for kids! Fun!! Each month has a different author to explore. You pick a book by that author, read the book, and do a project, craft, or activity about the book. 

This month's author is Mo Willems. I picked the book "The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?" because it went perfectly with the letter C, and I thought Harry would enjoy this story. Sucess!! :) 




Here's what we did for the book: 

*First, we read the book together and looked at the pictures. Then, Harry worked on this tracing worksheet. 







*Next, I cut out circles from paper plates. Then we decorated the cookies with chocolate chips and sprinkles by coloring them with markers. I also added letters to the backs of them. 



* Then using an old coffee can, I made a cookie jar, and I placed the cookies inside.


*Then Harry and I took turns asking for cookies, BUT we had to be polite and ask nicely for the cookies, just like the duckling. This was a lot of fun! If Harry didn't say please, then he couldn't get a cookie. This turned into quite a fun game. I would play tricks on him by not using my manners, just to see if he was paying attention. Lol. It worked!! ;)


*Once we were finished giving each other cookies, we flipped the cookies over. A majority of the cookies had letters on them. I then helped Harry practice spelling some basic words such as dad, mom, and Harry. I discovered that Harry can spell his own name!!!! Wow! How exciting!!! 

All in all, this was a great book and fun activity! It taught Harry the importance of using his manners and the importance of asking politely for things. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment