Friday, April 18, 2014

Apples and more!



Ten Apples Up on Top by Dr. Seuss is one of Harry's favorite books!! We read everyday! This week we did a few lessons and activities on the book and made it come alive. I think I enjoyed the activities just as much as he did. :)

Here's a look at everything we did this week:

1. We painted with apples. I cut an apples in half, put red, green, and yellow paint in a container, and we dip the apple halves in it to paint. We both enjoyed this activity. I painted too! ;)



2. I made Harry a very creative dinner to kick off the week too. Using bread, lettuce, cheese, yogurt, apples, carrots, radishes, and cabbage, I made an edible picture of Harry balancing 10 apples on his head! I love food art, so this was fun!!


3. Number matching!! Of course this required a lot of help from me, but Harry will be able to do this on own once he is a little older. This is a great way to learn how to count. While reading Ten Apples Up on Top, we matched the red number circles with the number of apples the characters had on their heads. Then we matched the red number circles to the corresponding green dot squares. We turned one of our favorite books into an excellent learning tool!




4. Harry has 10 apples up on top! Using a picture of Harry and his fingerprints, we made a picture of him balancing 10 apples on his head.


5. We made the book come alive! I laminated pictures of the characters and 10 apples to do this. Then on each page, we worked together, and matched the correct number of apples each character had on their heads. This required a lot of help from me, but Harry will be able to do it on his own when he is older. This was also a great way to practice counting!!

Visit my blog for how I made this activity!





6. Balancing apples!! I thought we would take turns balancing apples in our heads just like the characters. It turns out that it was quite difficult but very funny!! We each could only balance one apple on top of our heads!



7. Painting with applesauce. Harry is not a fan of applesauce, so I decided that he could paint with it instead. Success!!

No comments:

Post a Comment