Monday, August 18, 2014

Breast Milk Cheese


Yep. This is what you think it is. It is breast milk cheese! It sounds totally crazy, but hey it works! I love experimenting with breast milk, and I thought I would try cheese. I succeeded!

Note: I had an over supply of breast milk for 14 months, so I have always had a freezer full of extra milk. Plus, I have donated about 2000 oz!!!!! Crazy!!! I like to find creative uses for my freezer supply. 


Here's what you need to make cheese:

16 oz. breast milk
2 teaspoons of plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
1 rennet tablet


What to do:

1. Inoculate the milk by heating it to room temperature, 68F degrees. Then add the yogurt (starter bacteria).  

2. Let stand for 6-88 hours at room temperature, 68F degrees. Keep it covered with a lid. 

3. Dissolve 1 rennet tablet in 1/4 cup cold water. Set aside.

4. Heat to 86 degrees Fahrenheit then add the dissolved rennet tablet and stir throughly.  Cover pot and don't disturb for an hour or two hours. 

(This depends on the type of curds you get. If you get soft curds, let sit for one hour. If the curds are hard, you are good to proceed!!)

5. Raise the temperature slowly while continuously stirring. You will eventually get a ricotta-like cheese paste/spread.

6. Place a cheese cloth in a container and set aside. 

7. Pour the cheese into a bowl while draining out the excess milk. 

(This is whey milk, and you can totally drink it!! It is super high in protein.)

8. Add a teaspoon of salt to the cheese and mix together. 

9. Place the cheese on the cloth in the container. Seal up and refrigerate for up to a week.

10. Enjoy!!! :)


2 comments: