Friday, August 29, 2014

Michigan History for Toddlers!


Believe it or not, but toddlers can learn history! :) It may not be the way you think, but it can be done. Of course they are not reading text books either. The hands-on approach is much more suitable for them!

That brings me to what we did today! I have always wanted to go to the Ypsilanti Historical Museum, and I thought it would be fun to take my son there to learn about his city. So, I made a Michigan themed day. During the morning, Harry learned all about Michigan history. Then, in the afternoon, we went to lunch at our favorite restaurant in Ypsilanti, and we visited the museum afterwards. It was very exciting! :)


Here's a look at our activities:


1. Trading Post

Because trading was a way of life for early settlers, I made our own trading post with some basic items that early settlers traded. This demonstrated how settlers lived. This was a fun game for Harry!


2. Map of Michigan

I traced Harry's hands, and then he glued them on paper to make a map of Michigan. We also added a house to represent where we live. :)


3. Timeline

We made a timeline of some basic important events in Michigan History. The last half of the timeline is a little jumbled, but that's ok. Harry is still learning sequencing. 


4. Mud bricks

This was super cool!! I froze dirt and water in an ice cube tray to make these. This was a great sensory activity and history lesson. This demonstrated how people used to build things before modern machines. Harry loved this! We made towers and houses! :)


5. Michigan shaped cookies! 

I will admit... I really wanted to use my Michigan cookie cutters. Lol! I made soy butter cookies in the shape of Michigan. How cool! See my previous post for the recipe.


6. Lastly, we finished our day at the Ypsilanti Historical Museum! This place was awesome. Harry loved looking at everything! He especially loved the baby dolls, books, and toys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment